Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Thy Will Be Done----- By The River Piedra QUOTED #1




It’s been quite some time since I started reading “By The River Piedra..” but unfortunately, I’ve not been able to complete that book. My eyes are just too tired by the end of the day and resist all my intentions of doing any reading. Earlier, I used to do a “Quoted” post after every book I read… I haven’t done it in a long time, though I plan to re-start it soon, inshaAllah. However, before I get into the conventional “Quoted” mode, here is a part of this novel which I think deserves a post entirely to itself.
This part mentions Virgin Mary and her absolute Faith in Allah. I think this is a beautiful example of ‘Allah Tawakkal’.
I don’t think there’d be anyone who actually doesn’t know Virgin Mary… but for the ‘just-in-case’ ppl,
Virgin Mary was the mother of Jesus (A.S.), the second last Prophet of Islam, and conceived and gave birth to Jesus (A.S) as and in spite of being a virgin, by God’s Divine Command and Grace.
A woman of extreme piety, Mary is an exemplar of righteousness for all believing women.
Long ago, when I was a kid, I used to spend a lot of time on Islamic chat rooms on Yahoo.. and one guy had asked a question, “Who are the 5 most important Women in Islam?”
And I remember someone answering, “Eve, Sara, Hajira, Asiya, Mary”
This is because these Ladies have been mentioned in the Qur’an (along with others of course) and I haven’t come across any such top 5 ranking again, but just the fact that the Virgin Mary is the ONLY woman whose name is mentioned in the Holy Qur’an, is enough for us to realize her stature. In fact, there’s an entire chapter of the Qur’an named after her (19th Surah- Maryam). She’s one of eight people, and the only woman to have a chapter named after her.
However, Islam DOES NOT proclaim any divinity for Mary or for Jesus (A.S.).
The following excerpt from the novel is obviously based on a Christian view point and widely differing from Islam, be it the place of birth of Jesus (A.S.) or even the Crucifixion…. But still, the basic underscore of Mary’s Faith in Allah remains the same and will surely compel us to question our own doubts in the will of Allah.






For the first time since I had abandoned the path of faith, I felt a strong desire to pray. Although I was seated in a pew, my soul was kneeling at the feet of the Lady before me, the woman who had said,
“Yes,”
When She could have said “no”. The angel would have sought out someone else, there would have been no sin in the eyes of the Lord, because God knows His children’s weakness.
But She had said,
“Thy will be done,”
Even though She sensed that She was receiving, along with the words of the angel, all the pain and suffering of Her destiny; even though Her heart’s eyes could see Her beloved son leaving the house, could see the people who would follow Him and then deny Him; but
“Thy will be done,”
Even when, at the most sacred moment in a woman’s life, She had to lie down with the animals in a stable to give birth, because that was what the Scriptures required;
“Thy will be done,”
Even when, in agony, She looked through the streets for Her son and found Him at the temple. And He asked that She not interfere because He had other obligations and tasks to perform;
“Thy will be done,”
even when She knew that She would search for Him for the rest of Her days, Her heart filled with pain, fearing every moment for His life, knowing that He was being persecuted and threatened;
“Thy will be done,”
Even when, finding Him in the crowd, She was unable to draw near Him;
“Thy will be done,”
Even when She asked someone to tell Him that She was there and the son sent back the response, “My mother and my brothers are those who are here with me”;
“Thy will be done,”
Even when at the end, after everyone had fled, only She, another woman, and one of them stood at the foot of the cross, bearing the laughter of His enemies and the cowardice of His friends;
“Thy will be done.”


Thy will be done, my Lord. Because you know the weakness in the heart of your children, and you assign each of them only the burden they can bear. May you understand my love- because it is the only thing I have that is really mine, the only thing that I will be able to take with me into the next life. Please allow it to be courageous and pure; please make it capable of surviving the snares of the world.





If you notice the last para, you will find in it a beautiful little prayer. For Muslims, we can replace ‘children’ with… let’s say, creations or slaves or lovers or worshippers or ppl or whatever word each one of us feels fit. The ‘love’ mentioned here might or might not be the love for God, I mean, in the story, the girl is actually in love with a guy, so this well refers to her love for the guy… but, as is the case of all love songs and love expressions, this ‘love’ can also be the ‘love for God’ and if we look at it THAT way, it becomes a soft prayer of the silent loving heart….asking God that He may understand our love for Him, coz this love, in whatever way we show it, is our only companion to the afterlife. The last statement is of special importance to Muslims, I feel, coz here, we are asking God to make our love for Him courageous and pure……given the tolerance to Islam in the present times, any expression of love for God by a Muslim is an act of courage. Any expression of love for God by a Muslim can be met with ‘snares of the world’….be it the hijab, be it the prayers, or be it a simple ‘Assalam alaykum’ as a greeting.
Even for non-Muslims who love God, snares of the world exist coz of the so-called ‘coolness’ in everything devoid of religion. So, even a girl claiming to be in love with Jesus may be laughed at and called old fashioned and boring and the blah blahs…..
So, I think …this little prayer is a beautiful one for everyone who loves God, in a world where God is increasingly being considered nothing but an old man with graying hair and a long silver beard…
So, well….. we end with the prayer…

Thy will be done, my Lord. Because you know the weakness in the heart of your creations, and you assign each of them only the burden they can bear. May you understand my love- because it is the only thing I have that is really mine, the only thing that I will be able to take with me into the next life. Please allow it to be courageous and pure; please make it capable of surviving the snares of the world.




No comments:

Translate

Now reading ... "Crime and Punishment" by 'Fyodor Dostoyevsky'.

Sociable

..

..
Educate The Muslimah !!!!

..

..
Pay Your Zakaat To The Deserving!!!

Shorten Url

..

..
Speak Out !!!

About Me

My photo
Port Blair, Andamans, India
I am exactly as you think I am!

Don't You Copy Wat I Write !!!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

License..

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.