Monday, 30 January 2012

On Chicken Pox, Birthday Parties and a lot of Memories!!!

Today, my nephew and niece visited our home after 3 weeks…
THREE WHOLE WEEKS!!!
Actually, I had been chicken poxed and to avoid the infection, my sister’s family did not visit us for the past three weeks.



It was almost like three weeks in Hell for my mother and my sister………
Chaar dinooo kaaaaa pyaaarrrr o rabbbaaaa……..Lambiiii judaaaiiii…….Lambiiiiii judaaaaaaiiiiiiii :p :p :p
Anyway, while I did miss Aapa and the kids…. I missed some other ‘things’ much more.
Actually, the pox erupted on the night of 9th January, but, I failed to realize that these little vesicular lesions are actually and really the chicken pox which I have successfully avoided for the past 6 years, all by the grace of Allah. Throughout my college, I was exposed to the virus many times and many got infected but Alhamdulillah, I didn’t. I was scared especially coz’ I didn’t know where I’d go if I got poxed. So, well.. it was on 10th morning that I suddenly realized that Oh Oh My My Good Good GOD!!!! This is CHICKEN POX!!!
And what a perfect timing!!!! 10th January is my nephew-niece’s b’day :( and that very evening, my Aapa-Bhaiya were about to throw a BIG PARTY !!!! :(
Fiza-Faris were born on 10th Jan, 2007, when I was still in college.
Their first b’day party had been HUGE! The second one was gr8 too! But, I was…..yes,yes….still in college….
Their third and fourth b’days were celebrated at home; no real ‘party’ was organized….but, I couldn’t attend these two home-bday-celebrations either coz…..:)….. I was still in college….:P
This year they were completing FIVE, Alhamdulillah…. And they are in KG I, so they have a few special friends by now, so Aapa and Bhaiya decided to have a really big birthday bash…..


That's Fiza-Faris with their best friends- Tanveera, Priya and Anshad and also their parents- my Aapa-Bhaiya, just before they cut their b'day cakes. I dont know who the other kids are.



This would have been the first time i’d see them on their b’day.
I had been waiting (and preparing) for this day for a loooonnnggg time. I had bought their b’day gifts from Alleppey in October coz I might not get proper gifts in the tiny town of Port Blair. Aapa and I had decided what I’d wear for this b’day within days of my reaching home.
But, coz’ everything is in Allah’s hands and Allah knows best and does best, I couldn’t attend this much awaited b’day party. I aint sure if I’d still be alive next year, and if I’d be alive, whether I’d be in Blair or in mainland India…..
In any case, they wudnt be throwing a ‘party’ kind of party from now on…until the children grow up enough, so that we can invite their friends WITHOUT their parents and organize little games or maybe theme parties…..

Anyway.

The good part was that I was reeeeaaallllyyyy rrreeeeaaalllyyy upset about looking UGLY that night.
The attire we had chosen was a full length black and beautiful skirt (about which I’ve written earlier in this blog) paired with a black cardigan (coz’ I didn’t have another full sleeved plain black top and there was no chance we could find one in our little jungle town :) ); and a shockingly yellow headscarf with a yellow handbag . Now, I looked gr8 wearing all this way back in November…. But I have gained tremendous weight, doin nothing at home for the past 2-3 months…. :(

To add to my ‘beauty’, I had my driver’s test on 7th Jan and for that we had been practising for 1 whole week in tez dhoop at Attom Pahaad where the driving test is conducted….
The dhoop got me tanned so much that my complexion mixed with the sweat on my face made me look like I’d been put on a pan to be shallow fried and then forgotten there with the flame on *rolling eyes*

Given my skin’s immense power at getting tanned, it is amusing that I suffer from a de-pigmenting disease!

Anyway, a few years back, while my sister was practising ‘reversing’ the car, she got a sunstroke :( thankfully, nothing like THAT happened!

But, still; I didn’t really like what I saw in the mirror – a fat girl with all the possible shades of brown on her body, the brown-est of all being on her face, that brownest of brown face framed in the yellowest of yellow headscarves and all the other shades of brown on her body covered by the blackest of black outfits. I looked WOW!! :D

One option was to go to the parlour and get a lot of things done to my face … but I have never had a facial or a bleach in the past 24 years of my life. While I was a teen, I kept postponing that first facial to my 20s. I ‘ve now raised the bar to 30 :) I don’t really believe in one time parlour visits.
Khair!!!!

I could have changed the headscarf of course, something that went a little more "normally" with my chocolate brown face and didn't make look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yellow headed .... but the real thing was that I just didnt want to wear that skirt.......:_( I had some other lovely head scarves that were not so terribly contrasting my skin tone and black outfit BUT..... I just didnt want to wear the skirt. :_(
I really wanted to wear a salwar kameez coz I’ve already mentioned in a previous post that this was (is) my firstest skirt and I am extremely scared of not being able to walk in skirts/sarees/lehengas kind of dresses….. so, I wanted to wear a salwar kameez which is my favouritest clothing in the world but aapa thinks that waise bhi I look like a jhalli wearing salwars, on top of that my ‘collection’ of salwar kameezes is absolutely SubhanAllah! Matlab I’d have to wear denims. And I am FED UP of wearing denims. Truly, madly, deeply FED UP.

So, the chicken pox turned out to be a boon in one way at least! ;P

But, otherwise..yes! I missed the party.
I missed the place where the party was held- Megapode Nest- where I had gone with my sister many times, but which is mostly memorable coz my sister’s engagement was held there :) I was in 8th std then.
I missed meeting the children – Anshad, Priya, Durga, Tanveera, Ananya and all of them…..
But, most of all I missed my little babies :_(
Fiza and Faris are very special for us. Of course, all children are special for their family members…. So, well… they are really special to us.
They were born after 6 yrs of marriage (which, I know, doesn’t sound much, but when u really want a baby, 6 yrs is like 60 yrs) and Aapa-Bhaiya took treatment from Apollo, Chennai. We also had an IVF failure. It was all a very painful time for my family.
However, Alhamdulillah, Aapa conceived after undergoing an ICSI…. I still remember the day when she first told me about the babies….we both had cried over the phone (coz’ like I told, I was still in college..)
It was also a complicated multiple pregnancy with both babies in Breech and Aapa having gestational diabetes and hypertension…not to forget that we are talking about an ICSI pregnancy….. My parents had stayed with Aapa for a long time in Chennai.
I also remember the day when they finally cried their first cry….
I really wanted aapa to deliver before 26th Jan, coz I was planning to combine the republic day holiday with the weekend and a few leaves to go to Chennai, but, on 10th the doctor told that we’ll have to wait a looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg time. I was super desp coz that meant I wudnt get to see the babies as I cudnt possibly take leave after Jan… and in my desp-ness I went to the Library and was telling my vyatha to one of my seniors, Dr. Deepankar Dhar, when I got Abbu’s call telling me that Aapa has got the pains and is being taken to the theatre for an emergency CS :) I rushed back to the hostel and was in another senior’s room, Shikha didi’s room, when Abbu called me again to say that we have a little baby boy, 45 seconds elder to a little baby girl :) :)
We had only one girl’s name confirmed- Fiza. And lots of combinations of girl-girl and girl-boy names….. also some very ridiculous boy-boy names.
[all this coz **FOETAL SEX DETERMINATION IS A PUNISHABLE CRIME IN INDIA**]
But, I was final in my choice that I’d call the boy- Faris (this epic decision was taken on 12th Jan) and uske baad bhaiya tried his level best to change the name from Faris to anything else on this planet but Muhahaha!!! ‘Faris’ ko badalna mushkil hi nahi namumkin thha *cunning laughter*
[btw, Faris means ‘a knight’ or ‘a valiant horse rider’. It also refers to Iran, but this is not the meaning we considered while naming the boy.]
So, anyway, I missed the party :(

I also missed ITF- Island Tourism Festival which is a kind of mela- nothing really ggrrraanndd!!! But, in a place like Port Blair where nothing at all happens (Alhamdulillah for that actually!!!!!), anything is a big thing….. I really wanted to go to ITF and eat and then eat some more….. :(

On 17th was my interview, which I would have missed had my ‘infectious stage’ not been over, but since I had started taking antivirals on time, I got the eruptions only until the 11th .

What else did I miss?????? Hmmmmmmm…… that’s it I think…;p

I missed a b’day party and a mela and I’m very sad about it…;p

But, I saw my babies today…. and saw their b’day pics…. And the food from the party was sent home for me (the mostest delicious-est malai kofta in the world) ….. and I got my driver’s on the 14th ….. and well….. Alhamdulillah ala kulli haal :)



[image 1 - www.dodea.edu]




6 comments:

Steve E said...

Almas, I had NO IDEA you were ill. And, combined with the heartache of missing our on celebrations, well: AAAHHHHGGGGGGHHHHH!

This story is well worthy of a blog post which Peeps will want to read.

And now you possess Driver's License, which will give freedom of movement --if you have wheels, that is!

So grateful am I that you took time to respond to FOUR of my posts. I am making VOW not to miss yours ever again--grin! BUTTTT--you have so MANY!

Your comments were so interesting to me, I am going to respond to each...all in one email, which you should rcv Monday (Yahoo) I wrote that here because you never check yahoo LOL!

Thank again for your interest. We all in same boat, on same heading. Maybe some Peeps on upper or lower decks, whatever!
Bye.
PEACE to you, and all those family Peeps!

JaLpArI - tHe MeRmAiD said...

I'm fine now, by the grace of God :)

and Steve....plz dont ever make such a vow. Plz dont ever do that.

It will sadden me to think that you are here commenting under my posts just coz i commented in yours.

One of the prime reasons i had closed my comments was coz i started getting a lot of 'return comments'.
I am also not cmmenting under new blogs, not following new people coz i dont want this 'return gift' of comments and follow backs...

and i have told u earlier that ur blog speaks to me. i like you, generally. so, please dont make me feel that you TOO are reading my blog, just coz i'm reading urs....

I like 4D.:) I REALLY do.

and i think one of my comments is in ur spam folder..... coz it showed that it will be published after owner approval. the same message had been displayed once earlier and l8r u'd found my reply in ur spam folder.....

Steve E said...

OK, msg rcvd. A vow like that I said, was made like an oath under--or to--God. It was not like a monk might make, and so, partly in jest...

However, your blog, when I DO go there, is interesting to me. There is a completely different culture from the one I know, which emerges through your words.

I must agree--a vow is not to be used jokingly or lightly, sometimes I'm not thinking before the keys are pressed.
OK...What is 4D? You wrote, "I like 4D..."

I looked up those 2 old comments, they were in some sort of spam place, byt are 'posted now. Ya know, I just believe mostly what I write is worthless...but reading back...like now, they not too bad. Almost as if an angel was hovering by to help!

So Thank You for telling me these things, it gives confidence...I may write a poem tonight NO! Tomorrow (Monday

PEACE!

Steve E said...

Plz don't close your comments again--however it IS your blog--grin!

JaLpArI - tHe MeRmAiD said...

thanks Steve :) and sorry, by 4D I meant The Fourth Dimension.

Faisal M said...

It had happened to me several times..
In my last vacation, an entire month was wasted with chicken-pox. The real pain is not with the lesions, but to hide away from peoples. :)

Now reading ... "The Witch of Portobello" by 'Paulo Coelho'.

Sociable

..

..
Educate The Muslimah !!!!

..

..
Pay Your Zakaat To The Deserving!!!

Shorten Url

..

..
Speak Out !!!

About Me

My Photo
Port Blair, Andamans, India
I am exactly as you think I am!

Don't You Copy Wat I Write !!!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

License..

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.